Smart Home and IT Enthusiast
Published on: March 5, 2020
Whilst I would advise simply getting a baby monitor as they will have more functionality, the Amazon products can be used as an Alexa Baby Monitor in the interim if you’re in a tight spot.
You can use the “Alexa Call Feature” between two Amazon Alexa devices (Dot, Show, Spot or Tap for example) and/or a mobile phone.
You’ll need to have the following products to do this:
- An echo device in the room the baby monitor would be in
- Your phone with the Amazon Alexa app (ios| android) or a different Echo device.
- Alexa Calling enabled
- Enable Alexa Drop Ins
How to enable my Echo Show as a Baby Monitor
- As a precaution, make sure you turn the volume on the baby’s device down to 0 before hand. This means whilst on the call, the baby will not be woken up by a loud noise (If you drop in or re-call).
- In the baby’s room, either “Call Alexa <Echo Name>” or “Drop in to <Echo Name>” from your phone or Amazon device
- Leave the connection open until you’re done, don’t forget to end the call!
“Alexa show me my baby”
If you’re using the Amazon Spot / Echo Show, you can ask them to show you your childs room. Simply ask Alexa the following:
Alexa, Show me <Alexa Device Name>
Baby monitors that work with alexa
There’s not a lot out there, commonly the “Project Nursery Smart Baby Monitor” was the go to, however, with the changes in technology these have changed to standalone devices.