A wake word is what you use to get your Alexa device to listen to you, this gets Amazon’s virtual assistant Alexa to then process your requests. However, if you wish to call Alexa by another name, follow the steps listed below.
Regardless of whether you have an Echo Dot, Echo Input, Echo Show, or any other model, you can change Alexa’s wake word.
Update: On July 15th, Amazon added “Ziggy” to their wake words
How to change the Alexa Name / Wake Word
There are a few different variations for Alexa’s wake word, these are “Echo”, “Ziggy”, “Amazon” and “Computer”. You can change the Alexa wake word via voice command or App.
Follow these steps to change your Alexa Wake Word via voice command:
- Ask Alexa “Alexa, change the wake word”
- You will be prompted with four options; “Echo”, “Amazon”, “Ziggy” and “Computer”
- Say out loud your choice
- Alexa will confirm your choice and in future you will use that choice instead of “Alexa”.
- If you have multiple Alexa devices, you will need to follow
In the Alexa App
- Open the Amazon Alexa App on your Phone / Tablet
- Tap on Devices
- Select the device you wish to change the wake word on
- Select “Wake Word” from the options
- You will be prompted with the options: “Echo”, “Ziggy”, “Amazon” & “Computer”
- Your Alexa device will then glow orange as it saves your changes.
How to change Amazon Alexa’s voice / Accent
To change Alexa’s accent, follow these steps:
- In the Amazon Alexa App, select Alexa Devices.
- Choose which Alexa device you wish to change the accent of.
- Scroll down and select Languages.
- This will produce a drop down, select which one you wish to change to.
- Make sure to hit “Save Changes”.
Changing Alexa’s accent may change the locale of your device, so moving forward you may find results vary when asking questions.
How to change the Alexa wake word on a Kindle Fire HD Tablet
Changing the wake work is much easier on a Kindle Fire Tablet, simply follow these steps:
- Open the settings section under menu ⚙️
- Tap on “Alexa”
- This will offer you in-built Alexa settings, select “Wake Word” and choose from the options “Amazon”, “Ziggy”, “Echo” or “Computer”.
- Press save and close the menu! All done.
Can I pick my own name for Alexa?
Unfortunately not, Amazon hasn’t allowed the option of setting your own name for Alexa.