Sick of watching videos where the creator says “Alexa” and your little friend triggers? (Sorry about that). Amazon has allowed you to change the ‘wake word’ for your echo device, even if it is restricted. Unfortunately, you cannot change the Alexa wake word to Jarvis, sorry Marvel fans!
Did you know you can also change Alexa’s accent?
How to change the Alexa Name / Wake Word
There are a few different variations for Alexa’s wake word, these are “Echo”, “Amazon” and “Computer”. Personally, I still find “Computer” very 90’s SciFi.
- Open the Amazon Alexa App on your Phone / Tablet.
- Choose which Alexa device you wish to change the wake word on (This is changed per device).
- Select “Wake Word”
- You will be prompted with your options, select which one you want
- The Alexa device will then glow orange as it saves changes. Your Alexa device will now respond to the new wake word.
How to change Amazon Alexa’s voice / Accent
To change Alexas accent, follow these steps:
- In the Amazon Alexa App, select Alexa Devices.
- Choose which Alexa device you wish to change the accent of.
- Scroll down and select Languages.
- This will produce a drop down, select which one you wish to change to.
- Make sure to hit “Save Changes”.
Changing Alexa’s accent may change the locale of your device, so moving forward you may find results vary when asking questions.
How to change the Alexa wake word on a Kindle Fire HD Tablet
Changing the wake work is much easier on a Kindle Fire Tablet, simply follow these steps:
- Open the settings section under menu ⚙️
- Tap on “Alexa”
- This will offer you in-built Alexa settings, select “Wake Word” and choose from the options “Amazon”, “Echo” or “Computer”.
- Press save and close the menu! All done.