Your Ring doorbell is a great way to keep tabs on your front door. But even the most pleasant ringtone can be annoying if your doorbell rings at the wrong time. In this guide, I’ll talk about how to turn the sound off, change the audio alert, or even snooze it.
1. Disable Your Ring Doorbell Chime
The Ring Pro is designed to ring your home’s existing hardwired doorbell.
Let’s say you want to deactivate your central doorbell chime altogether.
How would you go about it?
Follow these simple steps:
- In the Ring app, tap “Devices” and select your Ring Pro.
- Tap “Device Settings,” then “Doorbell Kit Settings.”
This will bring up a screen with a toggle for your home’s doorbell chime.
The toggle will be green when the doorbell is enabled or white when it’s disabled.
Tap it to turn it on or off, and hit the “Done” button in the top right corner to save your settings.
Many people turn off their hardwired doorbell because they’re using the Ring Chime.
Since the Chime has a built-in speaker, there’s no need for a second, hardwired bell.
Since the Chime is a separate device from the doorbell, it will continue to work with the doorbell kit disabled.
2. Disable the Chime for Motion Detection
The motion detector on the Ring doorbell can be handy.
You know someone’s at your door as soon as they get close! But if your door is right on the sidewalk, you could get a lot of false alarms.
Here’s how to disable the Chime for motion detection:
- Select your Ring doorbell in the app.
- Within the doorbell screen, select “Linked Chimes.” This will bring you to a special screen for your Ring Chime.
- You’ll see a “Motion Alerts” toggle, similar to the toggle for a hardwired chime. Turn this off, and click the “Done” button to save your settings.
Note that this will only turn off the audible chime.
If you’ve set your app to deliver push alerts for motion detection, you’ll still receive them.
3. Snooze Your Ring Doorbell
In other circumstances, you might want to snooze your Ring doorbell.
This allows you to turn off audible alerts for a pre-determined time.
Like other audible alert settings, this won’t affect your smartphone alerts.
You’ll still receive push alerts unless you’ve also turned them off.
Putting your Ring doorbell into snooze mode is simple.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Ring app.
- At the top left, you’ll see a hamburger menu, or a button with three lines. Tap it to expand the menu, then select “Devices.”
- Select the Chime or Chime Pro you want to put on snooze, then tap “Snooze.”
- Select how long to snooze. You can choose from 1, 3, 6, or 12 hours.
- Tap “Save,” and your doorbell will go into snooze mode.
Now, let’s say you want to shorten or lengthen the snooze duration.
Follow the same steps to access your Chime’s snooze settings.
On this screen, select the new snooze duration, and tap “Save.”
You can do this as many times as you like to extend the snooze duration indefinitely.
You can also turn off your snooze mode before the time runs out.
Once again, navigate to your Ring app’s snooze settings screen.
Tap the button that says “Turn off Snooze,” then tap “Save.”
This will immediately reactivate your doorbell.
4. Change Your Doorbell Chime
At the end of the day, you probably want a functioning doorbell, at least most of the time.
But that doesn’t mean your doorbell chime has to be annoying.
If you’re sick of your Ring’s current chime, you can change the audio alert from within the app.
The Ring app has many ringtones for you to choose from.
You can even select different chimes for doorbell presses and motion alerts.
Let’s go through the process:
- Open the app, and tap the hamburger menu at the top left. Select “Devices.”
- Tap your Chime device, and select “Audio Settings.”
- Tap “Chime Tones.”
This will open a list with all of the Chime’s possible ringtones.
Select the one you like, and click “Save.”
A new ringtone can make all the difference between an irritating doorbell and a tolerable one.
As you can see, it’s easy to turn off your Ring doorbell and make other changes.
With a few clicks in the app, you can turn off the motion detector, snooze your ringer, or change the chime sound.
All the functionality is all right there in the app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I turn off the Ring doorbell chime for motion detection?
Yes. You can turn off the motion detection function on all Ring doorbell variants.
Can I change the sound of my Ring doorbell?
Yes. You can change it via the audio settings in the Ring app.