My Top Smart Home Automation Ideas
Home automation is literally something I live and breathe, I love making my life at home easier, especially given how unorganised I am. Here are my Smart Home Automation Ideas which I believe every user should consider.
The key to a good smart home is a great foundation and a strong controller/operating system.
Once you have this, you’ll find the possibilities are endless, remember to check out my Pinterest board on this too for more ideas!
- Setup Room groups so you can turn off all lights at once
- Setup controls like double tap to change to brightness to a pre-set dim %
- Set lights to flash in rooms far away from your doorbell so you can see someone is at the front door
- Add a bedtime/late scene to your lights after a certain time to allow you to get ready for bed
- Set lights to turn on slowly as the sun sets
- Add sensors to turn lights on dim after a certain time so you can get to the bathroom in the dark!
- Turn off the lights automatically when all phones leave the Geo-located area (Your Wifi connection).
- Use sensors to check the natural lighting in the room, if it’s too low, turn on the lights
- When it’s night time, opening the garage door will turn on the lights
- Add an all off button in your bedroom to turn every single house light off.
- Add sensors so when you come in the front door, your living room lights turn on
- Receive phone notifications to confirm how long all lights have been on for the day
- Security Lighting is standard for a lot of security systems, but you can actually set these up yourself with routines! Set lights to randomly turn on and off whilst you’re not at home.
Smart Home Party Ideas
- Create a Party routine/scene where your lights change depending on the type of music or beat
- Get a phone notification when someone rings your doorbell in case no one can hear the door
- Use your smartphone/pad to tell when you’re out of drinks/ice, if ice, create more when it’s low!
- The more people that are in a room, the hotter it gets, use a sensor to control the temperature of the room!
- Use Alexa to run party games via third-party skills, like the following:
Tic Tac Toe
Rock Paper Scissors
Smart Music Ideas
- Double tap a volume up button to turn off the music in that speaker group (Only Bedroom, Kitchen, etc).
- Change LED Strips / Lighting to match with your music
- Specific audio profiles so that your music is louder than someone else’s in the house
- You can install a waterproof wall mount to control this in your shower, I will have a blog post on a DIY version of this soon!
- Turn on speakers when you turn on the shower/bathroom lights
- Change the LED colour of your lights to match the mood of the music (This is done on a Genre metadata tag)
Home Theater / Living room Ideas
- Add a small light strip which blinks when you lose the remote or a small speaker to beep
- Did you pause your TV show? bright the brightness up a little!
- When you press Play, lights dim / go off
- Have a specific soundbar under a TV in the kids’ room get quieter as the night goes on and your child drifts off
- Lock all doors and turn off the doorbell functionality when you’re watching a film!
- Use a sensor to check when there’s not been any movement for 30 minutes to turn the TV off automatically
There you have it, my top Smart Home Automation Ideas. I will keep updating this list when I come up with more ideas, and yes, whilst some of these seem unrealistic or a bit odd, they are possible. What do you do which seems odd? Anything you can suggest? Let me know 🙂