Table of Contents
2020 Roomba Comparison breakdown
The iRobot Roomba is amazing for those of us who are lazy, it vacuums, entertains your kids and pets and can be left to its own devices.
There are multiple brands of the iRobot (Or Smart Robot), some of these are Neato, Shark, iLife, EcoVacs Deebot, Xiaomi & Eufy.
There’s a lot of similarities between all of the versions of the Roomba, all with similar shapes, sizes and similarities.
But each one has a particular set of tools which makes them a diverse collection of products.
If you’re looking for a low – top cost vacuum, there’s an option for your needs and budget.
Picking the correct one can be a daunting task, however, I have listed each of the differences here and a quick rundown on each of these subjects:
- Best Overall (By Reviews) – As of the moment, the Roomba S9+ seems to be the most highly rated robot vacuum on the market. It does technically have the most powerful motor and navigation AI. There is a Roomba S9 which doesn’t have Automatic Dirt Disposal and is cheaper.
- My Recommendation – This is a difficult one as there are a few different Roomba devices that I recommend. In terms of toning down, I would either suggest the Roomba i7+ or the Roomba 980. In terms of the Roomba i7 and the Roomba s9, the main difference is the power in the motor which makes it less effective on carpets and rugs. I personally wouldn’t use either of the non-plus variants if you’re mostly in a carpet household.
- Best mid-range – The Roomba 960 is generally the smartest choice for an all-round balance of cleaning performance and budget. I often see this one spoken about a lot on posts and forms.
- Best budget option – The Roomba e5 is the best low-mid range priced vacuum with extended battery life.
It’s worth noting that I will not be mentioning the Dyson products, specifically the Dyson 360 in this comparison because Dyson has their own reputation and I may review this down the line.
Which iRobot Roomba is the best?
Roomba Comparison Chart
This chart includes the top contenders if you’re looking for a newer iRobot Vacuum
Note: I’m going to be leaving out the non + variants as they are the same but don’t have the Automatic Dirt Disposal.
Design / Shape
Resume Clean cycle?
Automatic Dirt Disposal
Cleaning Motor Type
Are Robot Vacuums worth the money?
For those of us who are busy, out of the house a lot or have furry friends. The Robot Vacuum could really help with your day to day tasks.
The cost is anywhere between $300 to $900 (£231 to £700) and it should be noted this vacuum won’t replace your standard vacuum, so definitely do keep that under the stairs for family gatherings etc.
If like myself, you run a business on the side, time is definitely money. It’s much easier to keep a clean environment when your robot does the standard upkeep after your main clean up / tidy session. Save yourself an hour a day 😉
The Roomba 675 vs 690
The Roomba 675
- Fantastic App on both Android & iOS
- Cheap price makes it a great entry level Roomba
- Works on almost every hard floor
- Performance isn’t as good as other models
- Some types of pet hair, dirt and debris don’t get detected.
The Roomba 690
- Dirt Detection technology is amazing
- Great battery life
- Rarely gets stuck, works well on carpet and hard floors.
- Gets lost easily when cleaning cycle finishes
- It’s best to use the app or voice commands for a proper clean
Commonly asked Roomba questions
How do I empty my Roomba 960?
The Roomba 900 series all have the same method of emptying out the sensors and filter. Please refer to the video on the left.
Please note, you may need to wipe the sensor as well as per the following:
How do I clean my Roomba 960?
Clean the Roomba 960 Filter
- Remove and empty the vacuum bin.
- Press and lift the filter door release tab.
- Remove filter by grasping the yellow tab.
- Shake off debris by tapping the filter against your trash container.
Clean the Roomba 960 Full Bin Sensors
- Wipe the sensors on the robot with a clean, lightly dampened melamine foam such as a magic eraser.
- Wipe the inner and outer sensor ports on the vacuum bin with a clean, lightly dampened melamine foam such as a magic eraser. The sensors are highlighted in green in the following images.
How do I reset my iRobot Roomba 960?
- Press and hold HOME and SPOT Clean on the robot for 10 seconds. When the button is released, Roomba® will play the reboot tone.
Where to buy the iRobot Roomba 960?
- The Roomba 960
- An extra Dual Mode Virtual Wall