According to Walmart’s most recent annual report, it’s one of their private brands. The US Patent and Trademark Office also confirms that Walmart owns the Onn trademark. Therefore, Walmart owns and manufactures onn. TVs, not Durabrand.
Onn is a television brand famous for its low-cost smart TVs.
Walmart currently owns the Onn brand, along with others like Great Value, Equate, Sam’s Choice, and many others.
In the retail industry, these are known as private labels or “white labels.”
Walmart manufactures these products in partnership with suppliers who have expertise in each industry and then Walmart will apply their brand’s label to the final product.
Walmart’s private labels are designed to draw people into the store.
They’re a low-cost alternative to other similar brands.
So, what’s the difference between an Onn TV and another brand, like a Vizio?
It comes down to manufacturing and quality control.
Walmart doesn’t set Vizio’s standards or provide any warranty.
They just sell you the TV.
On the other hand, Walmart sets its own quality standards for Onn TVs.
Incidentally, Element TV Company handles Onn TV warranties.
They may be involved in the manufacturing, but that’s no guarantee.
Where Are Onn TVs Manufactured?
According to Consumer Reports, Onn TVs are manufactured somewhere in China.
Walmart doesn’t say what plant or to what company they subcontract.
There’s only one other publicly-available piece of information: the same TVs are sometimes branded as “Koss” instead of Onn.
However, there’s an intriguing clue in Onn’s warranty policy.
On their Roku TVs 42 inches and larger, Element Electronics services the warranty repairs.
The same manufacturer could be producing both brands of television.
Whether or not that’s true is open to speculation.
Does Durabrand Make Onn TVs?
No, Durabrand does not manufacture Onn TVs.
Durabrand is a label that Walmart used to use for several types of electronics, including TVs.
As of the current fiscal year, Walmart’s fiscal reports currently contain zero mention of Durabrand.
In effect, it’s a dormant brand that’s not presently in use.
Furthermore, Durabrand is not a manufacturer; it’s a brand owned by Walmart.
Durabrand products are made by subcontractors, almost all of them in China.
Those factories slap on a Durabrand logo at the end of the process and send out their deliveries.
Where Can I Buy an Onn Television?
Onn is a Walmart private label brand.
You can only buy their TV in Walmart stores or on Walmart.com.
This policy makes sense if you think about it.
Why would Walmart want to provide low-cost televisions to their competitors? The entire point of making Onn TVs in the first place is to get people to shop at Walmart!
Are Onn TVs Good?
Whether or not Onn TVs are good is a matter of opinion.
It all depends on what you’re looking for.
If you’re primarily concerned with getting a decent TV at a low cost.
You’re also buying from Walmart, a major brand, rather than relying on a fly-by-night brand.
On the other hand, you get what you pay for.
If you’re willing to pay top dollar for the best TV possible, you’re better off with another brand.
Let’s talk about the pros and cons of Onn TVs and why you might – or might not – want to own one.
- Onn TVs are very affordable. Take the Onn Class 4K 50” TV, for example. It retails for $268, more than 10% less than the comparable Vizio V-Class 50″ TV. Vizio’s higher-quality M7-Series 50” TV goes for $498. If you’re trying to save money, it’s tough to go wrong with this brand. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a comparable TV for anywhere near the same price.
- Onn TVs have a wide viewing angle. A lot of budget-priced TVs offer poor viewing quality unless you’re looking at the screen head-on. Move off a few degrees to the side, and the colors become distorted. Onn uses DLED panels with a crisp 60Hz refresh rate. While they’re not the latest and greatest LED technology, they do offer a wide viewing angle. Even when you’re sitting to the side, Onn TVs display accurate images.
- You get thousands of apps. Onn TVs aren’t just any TVs. They’re Roku TVs, with all the benefits you’d get from a Roku stick. You can choose from literally thousands of streaming apps. This includes all of the popular offerings like Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Peacock, and Paramount Plus. But with so many offerings, you’ll also find plenty of obscure options. For example, horror movie buffs can enjoy the Shudder streaming service. And everyone will appreciate access to YouTube on their TV. Unless you want cable, you won’t need a set-top box.
- The picture quality is only so-so. Compared to similarly-priced TVs, Onn televisions have excellent picture quality. But compared to a brand-name TV, you won’t get nearly the same color clarity. Brand name displays have wider color gamuts, with more vibrancy. If you’re not picky about bright colors, this won’t matter much to you. But if you want stunning images, look elsewhere.
- The sound quality isn’t as good as most other TVs. Once again, this is a matter of price. Walmart is giving you a decent display at an absurdly low cost. There’s not much money to put into high-quality speakers. Thankfully, this isn’t a huge deal. If you need better sound, you can always buy an aftermarket sound bar.
Nobody knows who manufactures Onn TVs for certain.
All I can say for sure is that they’re not made by Durabrand.
That said, Onn is an up-and-coming budget-priced brand with reasonable quality.
If that’s what you’re looking for, their TVs aren’t a bad deal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who manufactures Onn TVs?
Walmart manufactures Onn TVs in partnership with an overseas factory that specializes in making televisions.
Does Durabrand make Onn TVs?
No. As of 2022, Durabrand is not manufacturing any Walmart products, including TVs.